Q & A Community Church
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does Jesus mean in Matthew 7; These seem to only be things that you could do if you were a Christian.

Go down

What does Jesus mean in Matthew 7; These seem to only be things that you could do if you were a Christian. Empty What does Jesus mean in Matthew 7; These seem to only be things that you could do if you were a Christian.

Post by Admin Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Christ is speaking in a bit of hyperbole, that is, exaggeration, to make a point. His disciples are not defined by their accomplishments but by their obedience to Him. It is all about doing the will of the Father—obedience. It also points out the fact that it is not going to be our outer performances that matter to Him but our inner hearts. Have our hearts been surrendered to Jesus Christ? As Jesus Himself complained during His ministry, Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?—Jesus Christ, Luke 6:46. He Himself had expressed to those who followed Him, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it”—Jesus Christ, Luke 11:28. When He was giving His final thoughts to His disciples in the Upper Room, He said, If you love me, you will obey what I command. . . . Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him. . . . If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching—Jesus Christ, John 14:15, 21, 23-24a. And as the apostle John celebrated, The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever—I John 2:17. It is our hearts that come first.

Admin
Admin

https://qnaforgod.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down