Q & A Community Church
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are the percentages of all the religions of the world?

Go down

What are the percentages of all the religions of the world? Empty What are the percentages of all the religions of the world?

Post by Admin Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:54 am

This information is as of December 2012, and is courtesy of the Pew Research Center. According to that study, world religion percentages break down like this (with accompanying estimated followers):

Christianity 31.5% 2,200,000,000
Muslim 23.2% 1,600,000,000
Unaffiliated 16.3% 1,100,000,000
Hindu 15.0% 1,000,000,000
Buddhist 7.1% 376,000,000
Folk religionists 5.9%
Other religions 0.8%
Judaism 0.2% 14,000,000

“Folk religionists” include followers of African traditional religions, Chinese folk religions, Native American religions, and Australian aboriginal religions. “Other religions” include Baha’is, Jains, Sikhs, Shintoists, Taoists, followers of Tenrikyo, Wiccans, Zoroastrians, and many other faiths. Unaffiliated (also known as nonreligious) includes agnostic, atheist, secular humanist, and people answering “none” or no religious preference. Half of this group is theistic but nonreligious. According to a 2012 study by Gallup International, “59% of the world said that they think of themselves as [a] religious person, 23% think of themselves as not religious whereas 13% think of themselves as convinced atheists.” These are all approximations. Many religions do not have any way of calculating their numbers, so any figures are educated guesses at best.
Of course, Scripture gives us God’s own words regarding Himself, His uniqueness, and the need to see Him as alone worthy of worship. In fact, the first two of God’s 10 commandments make His perspective very clear: “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments—God speaking , Exodus 20:2-6. Hundreds of years later, during the ministry of the prophet Isaiah, His words remained the same. Speaking in Isaiah 43, God said, “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even, I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”—God speaking, Isaiah 43:10-13. And just in case His people missed His message and its meaning, He repeated it just a few chapters later: This is what the Lord says—Israel’s King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come—yes, let him foretell what will come. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one”—God speaking, Isaiah 44:6-8. And then, one more time: For this is what the Lord says—he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not created it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited—he says: “I am the Lord, and there is no other. I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob’s descendants, ‘Seek me in vain.’ I, the Lord, speak the truth; I declare what is right. Gather together and come; assemble, you fugitives from the nations. Ignorant are those who carry about idols of wood, who pray to gods that cannot save. Declare what is to be, present it—let them take counsel together. Who foretold this long ago, who declared it from the distant past? Was it not I, the Lord? And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me. Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other. By myself I have sworn, my mouth has uttered in all integrity a word that will not be revoked: Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear. They will say of me, ‘In the Lord alone are righteousness and strength’”—Isaiah 45:18-24a. And one final bit, just in case: Remember this, fix it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels. Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’ From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do—God speaking, Isaiah 46:8-11. I think He’s trying to tell us something! As He said so completely through the prophet Jeremiah, I am the Lord, the God of all mankind—God speaking, Jeremiah 32:27a.

Admin
Admin

https://qnaforgod.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down