Do You need to be Baptised to go to Heaven

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do You need to be Baptised to go to Heaven

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:22 am

John 3:5 says, “Jesus answered, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.’” So if a Christian isn’t baptized they aren’t going to heaven? Acts 2:38: “Then Peter said to them, ‘Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.’” Romans 10:13: “For ‘everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’”
A key to properly interpreting difficult passages of Scripture is found in looking at verses that clearly provide answers and guidance. In this case, the issue ultimately is salvation. Regarding that issue, many passages in the Bible are very clear—that salvation is by faith alone. One of the classics states it this way: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him—Jesus Christ, John 3:16-17. Another example is Paul’s quotation from the Old Testament book of Joel in Romans 10:13. In light of Christ’s words, let’s first look at Acts 2:38, which quotes Peter as saying, Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit—Peter, Acts 2:38. The key word in that whole verse is the seemingly insignificant word “for,” as in repent and be baptized “for” the forgiveness of sins. Like in English, the Greek word for “for”—eis—is a preposition, but that little word can indicate two vastly different things: (1) it can indicate “causality” (in order to attain), or (2) it can indicate result (as in because of). An example of using “for” in a resultant sense is the sentence, “I’m taking an aspirin for my headache.” Obviously this means I’m taking an aspirin as a result of my headache. I’m not taking the aspirin in order to attain a headache. Now, an example of using “for” in a causal sense is the sentence, “I’m going to the office for my paycheck.” Obviously this means I’m going to the office in order to attain my paycheck. In Acts 2:38, the word “for” is used in a resultant sense, so the verse could be paraphrased, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ because of (or as a result of) the forgiveness of sins.” The verse is not saying, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ in order to attain the forgiveness of sins.” If looked at like that, it might be easier to see that water baptism appropriately follows the actual experience of salvation.
Regarding John 3:5, let’s look at the context of the first six verses of chapter 3: Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council. He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with them.” In reply Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.” “How can a man be born when he is old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb to be born!” Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit—John 3:1-6. First of all, Christ’s reference to being “born again” literally means, “born from above.” It is an act of God by which He gives eternal life to the one who believes in His Son Jesus. Being born again places us in God’s family and gives us a whole new direction and scheme in life—to please the Father. The point that Jesus is trying to make with Nicodemus is found in verse 6, where He points out that flesh can only give birth to flesh and, in our flesh, we are helpless to please God. As Paul pointed out, Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God—Paul, Romans 8:8. In other words, people pass on their sinful nature because that is the nature they themselves possess. The only way to enter God’s kingdom is to experience a spiritual rebirth, in which our sinful nature is replaced by a spiritual nature—which is exactly what Jesus came to provide. Nicodemus simply doesn’t get what Jesus is trying to say—to the point that he thinks he can be reborn in the normal human process of birth. So Jesus corrects his thinking with a parallelism, a construction of speech that has Him repeat a thought to give it additional emphasis. The parallelism here is tying “born of water” (v. 5) with “flesh gives birth to flesh” (v. 6) (our human origin) and then comparing that with being born of “the Spirit” in verse 5 and the Spirit giving “birth to spirit” in verse 6. These verses have nothing to do with water baptism at all.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://qnaforgod.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top