Q & A Community Church
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does “Eve” mean?

Go down

What does “Eve” mean? Empty What does “Eve” mean?

Post by Admin Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:37 am

The name “Eve” is thought to mean “life giver,” which is certainly appropriate considering she was the mother of all mankind; in fact, according to Genesis, Adam gave her that name for that reason: Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living—Genesis 3:20. A few verses later, she actually does become the world’s first mother: Adam lay with his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. She said, “With the help of the Lord I have brought forth a man”—Genesis 4:1. Ironically, even though she had such a hugely pivotal role in the history of the world, she is only mentioned by name in four places in Scripture: these two verses from Genesis and twice in Paul’s letters in the New Testament. The first time is in Paul’s second letter to the church at Corinth where he writes: I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ—Paul, II Corinthians 11:2-3. The second (and last) time Eve is mentioned by name is in Paul’s first letter to Timothy, where he uses the history of her experience in being deceived in the Garden of Eden as the basis for why he does not want women to be in positions of authority over men in the church: A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner—Paul, I Timothy 2:11-14. And if we understand the culture and correctly ascertain Paul’s statement in context, the only restriction on women Paul is implying (within the context of the historical precedent of Eve’s experience in the Garden of Eden) is in determining the authoritative teaching of the church, and in being to teach within that authority (i.e., pastoral ministry, elder ministry).

Admin
Admin

https://qnaforgod.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum