Q & A Community Church
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If God loved us all and gave us His Son so all of us could be saved, then why didn’t Jesus stick around longer and travel further away?

Go down

If God loved us all and gave us His Son so all of us could be saved, then why didn’t Jesus stick around longer and travel further away? Empty If God loved us all and gave us His Son so all of us could be saved, then why didn’t Jesus stick around longer and travel further away?

Post by Admin Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:12 am

Paul wrote to the Galatian church that when the time had fully come, God sent his Son—Paul, Galatians 4:4a. Jesus Christ arrived on the scene not one bit before not one tiny bit after the perfect time for God’s plans to accomplish all He had in mind. And while He was on the planet, Jesus was completely under God’s direction, which He Himself mentioned on several occasions. My food, Jesus once said to His disciples, is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work—John 4:34. Whether to His disciples or, in this case, to His enemies, Jesus always made sure it was understood where His mission came from, and under Whose will He was operating: By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me—Jesus Christ, John 5:30. To the crowds who were gathered around Him, He said, For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me—Jesus Christ, John 6:38. Even His words were not His own; as He was teaching once, [t]he Jews were amazed and asked, “How did this man get such learning without having studied?” Jesus answered, “My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me—John 7:15-16. As He would later say while teaching in the Temple, I am not here on my own—Jesus Christ, John 7:28b. And toward the end of His ministry, He would declare so emphatically, For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say—Jesus Christ, John 12:49-50. The point of all this? Everything Jesus said and did, including the simple fact of the length of time He spent here, was a direct result of the design and plan of the Father, a plan, according to the apostle Peter, which was chosen before the creation of the world—I Peter 1:20a.
Regarding His coming “only” for the Jews, Jesus’ first priority was to bring the message of God’s kingdom to His covenant people. Despite their history, their designation as the chosen ones of God had not changed. Jesus Himself was a Jew, and part of why He occasionally took a seemingly exclusive stance was simply God’s ongoing plan that Israel should fulfill His intentions for them when He declared them to be His chosen people: For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession. The Lord did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. But it was because the Lord loved you and kept the oath he swore to your forefathers—Moses, Deuteronomy 7:6-8a. And what were they chosen to do? For what purpose did He do this? He told them through Moses back in the book of Exodus, Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation—God speaking, Exodus 19:5-6. But the reality and truth is that Jesus indeed came for all people; as He Himself so famously said to Nicodemus, For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him—John 3:16-17. And when Jesus began His public ministry in Galilee, it was in a very international setting, as Galilee had been settled by many nationalities following the exiling of the native people by the Assyrians (722 BC). He ministered to all who came His way, including the Roman centurion with the sick servant (Matthew Cool and the Syro-Phoenician woman with the sick daughter (Matthew 15). He spoke one-on-one with the Samaritan “woman at the well” (John 4). He came for all, but His first steps in ministry were to God’s own people.

Admin
Admin

https://qnaforgod.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down